Saturday, September 13, 2014

[FOOD REVIEW] Tea+, Burwood

Looking at the gloomy weather today, I suddenly felt an urge to drink the Plant Milk Tea from Tea+ again. The start of Spring hasn't exactly brought about many days without rain but it is also because of these days that I have been able to appreciate the warmth that hot food and company with others can bring. Eating food with others truly is a blessing.

Tea+ is located approximately 10-15 minutes away from Burwood Station (I love places close to the station :D). It isn't really hard to find but it might not be really obvious to some. To be honest, when I first looked at the menu, I wasn't really impressed and I really didn't think the food here would actually be good haha, I'm so judgemental! Well, I really came to try the plant milk tea after all :p

However, although the shop was smaller than I thought, it was nice and comfy. Word of warning to those that don't read Chinese though; it's like Ding Tai Fung and Papparich where you have to write down the amount of each dish that you want on a piece of paper. But this one only has the Chinese names! I'm glad I haven't forgotten how to read Chinese haha!


Let's start with the highlight of the show! This is the hot Original Plant Milk Tea ($5.80) with pearls. However, it was quite lukewarm when I received it. Possibly because of the foam and the pearls. But, don't you think this looks so yum!? It's basically milk tea with a layer of lightly salted foam, oreo flakes (as dirt) and a mint leaf (as the plant).

Anyhow, there are two ways you can drink this. In which the way that Tea+ recommends is really the best way to drink it. Which is drinking it straight from the cup where you will be able to taste the milk tea, foam and oreo flakes in one gulp. It has such a nice balance of sweetness from the milk tea and the oreos complemented with the lightly salted foam that it wasn't overly sweet at all! I really liked how creamy and delicious this was. Well, it's hard to hate anything with oreos in it!

Otherwise, for the second method, you can drink this with a straw and mix everything in to drink the pearls and oreos but to be honest, I only left this method until last because it really didn't taste anything special. I'd definitely recommend drinking it from the cup. I'd say the milk tea has a more milky taste than a tea taste though (which I like!) if you're wondering.

This Super Mango Smoothie with Coconut Milk ($6.50) really tasted like it was made with real mangoes! I couldn't really taste the difference with and without the coconut milk (my sister ordered one without) but it still tasted sweet and good with the essence of the mango in it. It had a bit more chunky blocks of ice than I would have liked but it was still wonderful.

For me, I chose the Beef Noodle Soup($10.80) for my main meal. Surprisingly, the beef brisket was so soft and tender, I loved it! It wasn't hard at all and melted in my mouth. It had a balanced level of saltiness and a hint of spiciness to enhance the flavour of the soup. I'm generally not a fan of chilli but this hint of spiciness made it taste even better! I would definitely recommend trying this if you want something warm and filling. The only thing I didn't really like were the noodles. It could've been softer but the two times I came to eat this, it was a bit hard. It didn't ruin the dish but it could've been better.

Now, for the snacks! We tried a few but I only have a photo of two. The first one is this House Special Chicken Basil ($6.90), it was crunchy and quite flavoursome but not anything special.

Lastly, the Crab Meat & Flying Fish Roe Tamago($7) was so yum! The egg was soft and fluffy and matched well with the crab meat. It also had cheese drizzled on it and that made it taste so amazing! Definitely a must try if you come here!

I also tried the Crispy Buns($3.50) which was deep fried mantou with condensed milk. I loved how it was so warm and soft on the inside whilst crispy on the outside. In addition, dipping it into the condensed milk just made it such a delicious guilty pleasure that made me really want another one!

My experience here was much better than I expected and I really liked the food here. I wouldn't say it's extremely amazing but the snacks and the drinks served here are definitely worth making a trip for if you've been wanting to try it! I came here twice in two weeks so you can say that I thought that this was a pleasurable experience and would definitely come here again in the future.

10 comments:

  1. the milk tea is so cute! can't wait to see more of your food posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cute and yum! :D thank you for the sweet comment! I'll definitely be posting more!

      Delete
  2. Love beef noodle soup! Especially when they use brisket meat mmmm..

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa that tamago looks amazing, look at all that roe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always in Burwood and I have yet to check this place out. Will definitely try the milk tea soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth a try if you're always there!! :D

      Delete
  5. one of my favourite placesa, the lu rou fan and beef noodles are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you like!