Friday, September 25, 2015

[FOOD REVIEW] Flavour Shanghai, Ashfield

My sister and I used to love the dumplings at New Shanghai in Ashfield but after the renovations and everything, their buns went smaller (just like all the other shops) and I feel like they didn't have the same quality and taste they used to have. So, I thought it was time to explore other dumpling restaurants around Ashfield since there's so many! After strolling for a bit, my friend and I decided to go to Flavour Shanghai (267c Liverpool Road, Ashfield) which is like 1 or 2 shops away from New Shanghai haha and super close to the train station (5 mins)! It's also just across the road from Ashfield Mall so it's a really convenient place for a break or for lunch. There's also a lot of different dishes catered for takeaway if you're busy but want some pre-prepared food. They were quite tempting and there were a lot of people that came in and out for it whilst we were waiting for our food but I was focused on getting my dose of dumplings today haha~

Pan Fried Pork Buns (8 pcs) $8.80

One of the classics that I'll always order when I'm craving dumplings! After my sister first introduced these to me, I've been sold to these. This one was more on the soft side of pan fried pork buns where the top was nice and fluffy and the bottom was light and a bit crunchy but still mostly soft. It tasted really good just as it came out! So warm and so juicy! Personally, I prefer my buns a bit more crunchy but I can't say no to fluffy buns and meat! The only downside to it was that this took quite a while to come out and so my friend and I had already finished the other dumplings and were quite full. 

Pan Fried Pork Dumplings (8 pcs) $7.80

I haven't had these in soo long! My friend told me that this is one of her usual orders as well since it's her brother's favourite so I thought might as well get these! Personally, I thought these were okay but the skin was a bit hard on the tips making it a bit difficult to chew and bite without pulling on it and the meat dropping haha. But overall, it was good. I was satisfied eating my share <3

Steamed Mini Pork Bun/Xiao Long Bao (8 pcs) $7.80

HAHAHA, sorry for the empty photo lol! I was deciding whether I should even bother taking a photo afterwards since I was so hungry and forgot lol. But I thought, might as well let you guys look at something instead of nothing loll. Anyway, xiao long bao have been one of my core favourites for a while now and I always order them along with the pan fried pork buns. These were quite good but definitely not the best I've had. They were a bit more on the soggy side and the meat inside was a bit dry, probably from over-steaming or leaving it covered for longer than needed and causing the moisture to be locked inside and making them soggy. Otherwise, they pretty much tasted like every other ones I've tried. Fulfilled my cravings but nothing to rave about.

Overall, I think this place was pretty average. I'd come again for the pan fried pork buns when I want them a bit more on the fluffy and soft side or to try the other dishes such as noodles since it seems like they might be popular for those dishes instead but otherwise, I think I'd like to try the other Shanghai restaurants around Ashfield or other suburbs and taste the other dumpling options~

2 comments:

  1. was so excited to see this post on dumplings, mostly because the food's from my native land hehe --
    the crispy, hard bottom of the pan fried pork buns is the best part! and oh no, soggy xiao long baos, at least your craving was satisfied (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh really!! I hope to try more shops so there'll probably be so many posts on dumplings you'll get sick of it hahaha!

      And yep!! Can never be dissatisfied with dumplings haha

      Delete

Leave a comment if you like!