Friday, January 22, 2016

Food Review | Tim Ho Wan, Burwood

Yayy! Actual first post of the year! Lol, although 20 something days have passed already and it's nearly February gahh. Time passes fast. But, anyway, fast as it may be, I never seem to be able to catch up with it. Just like it's totally impossible for me to catch up with the trending foods these days like those scroll ice creams that keep popping up on my Instagram feed hahaha.

Another one that I'm late to would definitely be Tim Ho Wan (Westfield Burwood, 173-175/100 Burwood Rd, Burwood). I didn't even realise that it's like situated right next to the main entrance to Westfields haha, so it's super easy to get to by train or car and even though I went during lunch time, there wasn't much of a line at all. It's definitely very spacious but probably not the most comfortable if you don't get to be the one sitting on the couches and instead pushed to having to sit on the stools haha. Otherwise, service is very fast and efficient and everything we ordered came steaming hot and rather promptly for our empty stomachs.

Prawn Dumplings ($8.30)

I'm always a fan of the classics at yumcha (although this isn't exactly yumcha with the lack of variety) so of course I ordered these har gow <3 They were soo good! Prawns were sweet and the skin was glistening with the soft but perfect chewy texture. They were definitely steamed well on time! This was my favourite out of the bunch.
  
Vermicelli Roll with Shrimp ($7.80)

I was really looking forward to these but unfortunately they weren't as good as I wanted them to be. As always, quality prawns but the vermicelli roll itself was rather thick and lacked the slippery smooth texture that I usually like when it slides into your mouth.

Beef Balls with Beancurd Skin ($6)

My sister and I don't usually order these but she had a sudden craving for it so why not? These were very soft and lightly seasoned making it a very comforting dish that's good to eat for anyone. The beancurd skin is definitely what makes the taste more fluid than a simple beef ball. (Although I really can't tell whether it's even beef loll)

Trio Steamed Dumplings ($6.80)

As the self-proclaimed ultimate dim sim lover in the Su Family House (lol), although the ingredients were wonderfully sweet and fresh, I didn't think these 'special' dim sims were too different from the usual and would've much preferred those since the original comes with four pieces haha! Yes, quantity is important!

Beancurd Skin Roll with Pork & Shrimp ($6.80)

These are my absolute favourite and must-haves in every yumcha trip for me but sadly I felt these lacked substance to it. The balance of beancurd skin and insides were a bit disproportionate and thus made it more of a beancurd skin eating appreciation dish which I'd be all for if I knew that was what I was getting into but sadly I wasn't. 

Baked Buns with BBQ Pork ($7.80)

And finally to the buns that people said were the main reason to visit THW for! However, I have to say, I wasn't a fan of these, mostly because I prefer and think that the normal cha siu baos taste so much better. Personally, I thought the baked buns and the BBQ pork weren't a good match but that might be because these buns taste really similar to those Mexican buns sold in those Chinese bakeries and I frankly like them plain like that. For this bun, I felt the sweetness of the bun and the BBQ pork just clashed terribly and I couldn't find myself liking it. But yeah, that's my personal preference.

All in all, have to say I wasn't very impressed at all and I would much rather go to Rhodes Phoenix for any of the yumcha dishes I really like. But that's also because normal yumcha has so much more variety especially dessert-wise etc, I mean, the egg tarts at Rhodes Phoenix are to die for. But yep, overall, average food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you like!