Monday, October 27, 2014

[FOOD REVIEW] Canton Noodle House, Burwood

I haven't been here in so long! This time, it's a review for a restaurant my family and I love coming back to every now and then to get our dose of Cantonese food and my favourite rockmelon milkshake! Sadly, they ran out on this visit so I tried another drink. Canton Noodle House (45 Burwood Rd, Burwood) is relatively clean but the proximity of the tables towards one another can be quite uncomfortable due to the limited amount of space. But it really doesn't bother me too much. It is also really close to Burwood Westfields and thus not a far walk from the train station or parking.


 Look at those huge lemon slices! On this occasion, my sis' boyfriend ordered the Iced Lemon Tea ($4.50) and I ordered the Strawberry Milkshake ($4.50). If you're curious, the Rockmelon Milkshake ($4.50) looks exactly like the strawberry version but more orange. However, they taste completely different to me! The strawberry milkshake seems to have a really sweet strawberry syrup added into it which  complements nicely with the saltiness of the food and it also has a really smooth milky texture. However, the rockmelon milkshake tastes like real rockmelon pieces were used and it has a wonderful subtly sweet and frothy texture. I eagerly order this every time I come here!

As for the lemon tea, my sister commented that it tastes like Vitasoy Lemon Tea which has a very strong lemon taste and a refreshing sensation. The more you drink it, the more it seems to soothe your throat. I personally really like a strong lemon taste in my tea so it really depends on your preference.


My family always orders the Salt and Pepper Soft Shell Crab ($19.80) whenever we come here. Although the dish varies from time to time, it is generally very soft with a little bit of a crunch. It's filled with flavour and although it has quite an overload of salt and pepper for my tastes, the unique texture of the crab is retained making it a fabulous dish for soft shell crab lovers.


We saw a lot of tables order pipies that day so we decided to give it a try as well but I have to say that although the Pipies (baby clams) with XO sauce ($15.80) tasted really good, it simply didn't have enough to fill our stomachs satisfactorily. Most of them were empty shells and thus it was very disappointing. But before you completely dismiss it, the XO sauce for this was amazing. It had a tinge of chilli to it bringing out the XO flavour really well and it seeped into the pipies making every precious mouthful I had bursting with flavour. I loved every bite that I got!


My all-time favourite dish is the Japanese tofu braised with chicken and sundried scallop ($15.80). I totally recommend this dish at this restaurant. It's one of the main reasons we always make time to come here. I can't find anything else like this! The taste of the tofu is super soft on the inside but firm on the outside and thus retains its' shape very well. It's literally my favourite tofu dish ever! The sundried scallop really makes all the difference in this dish. We always make sure to scrape every last bit of sauce into our bowls haha! This dish isn't heavy at all and the snowpeas aren't extremely soft! It still has its' crunchiness and flavour and shows how well the sauce complements it! If you come here, this is definitely a must-try!


All my life, I have loved these vegetables and since it isn't in season right now, we had to come here to get some! This is the Stir-fried Water Spinach with Tofu Paste and Chilli ($12.80). If you have never tried these vegetables with tofu paste, I'd highly suggest you to try it. The vegetables are crunchy and accompanied with the salty and tinge of chilli taste of the tofu paste makes this one of the only vegetable dishes I cannot stop eating! I'm not a vegetables person so that's the best compliment you can get from me haha! However, sadly, this dish varies from visit to visit as well. It usually tastes really good but on this occasion it tasted a bit bland for me unfortunately.

Overall, although the taste of the dishes can vary slightly from time to time. My favourite Japanese tofu dish has always been consistently delicious every time I visit and thus we cannot give up on this restaurant haha. This is probably my most frequently visited restaurant because we always come back every now and then to fulfil our cravings on tofu! I'd definitely recommend for you to try this place if you haven't and if you're a fan of rockmelon like me, you absolutely must get the rockmelon milkshake!! It's irresistible!

2 comments:

Leave a comment if you like!