Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Mr Wong, CBD

My other posts are superrr late so I thought I might as well do this one first hahaha. A few days ago, I caught up with a friend I hadn't seen in a year and she wanted to try out Mr Wong (3 Bridge St, Sydney) for lunch and so after a bit of getting lost (LOL) we finally made it here from Wynyard station! It wasn't very far at all, we were just lost hahaha. Service is quick and helpful but they're very busy so it's a bit hard to get their attention. I'm not very fond of these restaurants that have such low lighting that it feels like I'm gonna fall asleep any minute though loll.

This was from their CNY menu and I can't exactly remember what it was but it's basically a dumpling ($15 D:) with mashed prawn, potato(?) and maybe lotus root inside covered by a spirally layer bread crumb texture outside. The top is coated with some caviar and gold leaf I presume.

IMO, since I'm cheap (LOL) $15 for a dumpling is a difficult thing for me to ever think is worth it so take that into consideration when I state my tastes haha. But, personally, I wasn't very fond of the outside layer, quite crumbly and bread-ish. I guess I'm just not a big fan of a lot of stuff mashed together inside a dumpling. It wasn't bad though.

BBQ Pork Rice Roll ($13)

Surprisingly, I quite enjoyed this one! The highlight is most definitely the chewy but extremely soft texture of the rice roll. I hate it when the rice roll breaks so this was really good! Kinda regretting the BBQ pork choice though because prawns would've tasted much better haha. Sauce could've been more sweeter imo since it's a rather normal salty soy sauce.
  
Sweet and Sour Crispy Pork Hock ($29)
  
My friend saw a lot of photos of this online and so we asked the waitress what it was and she told us it was pork hock! I was surprised! I wasn't expecting much even though the photos looked good but I loved the texture of this one too! It was so crispy but also soft and crunchy drenched generously with a sweet and sour sauce. The only negative would be that it was more sour than sweet but definitely pretty good.

Wild Mushroom Dumplings ($12) 

I don't have much to say about these ones since I wasn't that fond of them haha. They don't taste anything special haha but it was very soft and neatly melted in my mouth hahaha.

Scallop and Prawn Shumai ($12) 

My usual favourite for any yumcha would be dim sim and so this was a must! Sadly, I didn't think this was anything special either, the texture of the meat was probably too mashed up for me to really taste the goodness of the dim sim that I love.

Overall, I'd say that the dumplings are rather average from my experience and so from what I tasted from the pork hock, the highlight of Mr Wong may lie in their food dishes instead because dangg the textures of these foods are so good. Not sure about their choices of sauce blends (or it's catered for the Western tongue, who knows~) but I think this place is worth a try if you're eager. Dinner or a big lunch might be the more wise choice though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you like!